The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Little League

Guest Wendy

Please keep in mind that this is a football little league and the professionalism is quite lacking. My husband, an elected-officer in our county joined to try and make it a morally right place. Our bylaws strictly state no drugs - naturally, due to the fact that it is little league football. The vice-president was caught asking people at the game for their prescription hydrocodone for a "back ache" once and a "sinus headache" next. She even texted a few people that showed the text to my husband. He confronted the vice president and she admitted everything, even signed a statement regarding the inicident even though her story changed several times in the days to come. My husband voted her off, the rest of the board followed suit do to the vioilation of bylaws and she was quickly removed from the board. Less than a week later, a meeting was helded to fill her position - they nominated her in a parent/board meeting. They had filled the room with her questionable "friends" and voted her back in. While we believe this is unethical and since left the board to form a new football team, have they violated any rules? They use Robert's Rules for their meeting - although, I'm not quite sure they understand them.

Please keep in mind that this is a football little league and the professionalism is quite lacking. My husband, an elected-officer in our county joined to try and make it a morally right place. Our bylaws strictly state no drugs - naturally, due to the fact that it is little league football. The vice-president was caught asking people at the game for their prescription hydrocodone for a "back ache" once and a "sinus headache" next. She even texted a few people that showed the text to my husband. He confronted the vice president and she admitted everything, even signed a statement regarding the inicident even though her story changed several times in the days to come. My husband voted her off, the rest of the board followed suit do to the vioilation of bylaws and she was quickly removed from the board. Less than a week later, a meeting was helded to fill her position - they nominated her in a parent/board meeting. They had filled the room with her questionable "friends" and voted her back in. While we believe this is unethical and since left the board to form a new football team, have they violated any rules? They use Robert's Rules for their meeting - although, I'm not quite sure they understand them.

None that I can see.

Whether or not this violates any rules depends on what your bylaws say. RONR is regrettably silent on the use of prescription drugs by parents of little league members.

Some things to look for would be:

* what the bylaws actually say about drug use - given that what you have is a parent asking other parents about a prescription drug, you may wish to read the bylaws carefully there.

* what do the bylaws say about eligibility to serve on the board? Can someone who is removed from office serve again?

* are the "questionable friends" voting members? If so, they could vote.

* When you say "my husband voted her off" - you mean that a vote was held by the board?

RONR refers to rights - "a careful balance of the rights of persons or subgroups within an organizations's total membership", rules are based on a regard for the rights of the majority, the minority (especially a strong minority), individual members, absentees, and all of these together. RONR does not refer to moral rights, unless you consider the proper exercise of democracy a moral right.

RONR is regrettably silent on the use of prescription drugs by parents of little league members.

I move to amend by striking out "regrettably" and inserting "thankfully."

And I'd like to get this amendment settled before J.J. moves to suspend the rules to allow for amendments of the sixth or seventh degree.

This board amends the bylaws to be what fits their needs at the time. And yes, my husband requested the vote by the board after reading the bylaws and the violations this board member was guilty of. We do not allow solicitation of any drugs around the little league or on school property. Both of which happened at the time that she was soliciting for the prescription medication. She has been prescribed this medication previously in her life (?) to which she believes this action is legal. We are leaving this group behind because we feel any question of drug abuse in little league is unacceptable.

Wendy - a few comments. Typically, the general members will amend the bylaws, and this should indeed be to fit their needs at the time. If your bylaws state that the board can remove an officer from office, then as long as your board follows that procedure, they can do that. It looks like the general members present disagreed with the actions of the board - which is perfectly within their rights. I would suggest looking at the bylaws - if your bylaws state that there is no "solicitation of any drugs around the little league on or school property", you'll want to make sure you define what type of drugs and what solicitation means. From what you've said, it would also be a violation if a member were to say to someone else "hey, I have a headache, do you have any aspirin?"

Tim - regrettably, thankfully - same difference. ;) Where is the RONR rule on sarcasm?

Not to mention maybe she was in pain that an Aspirin or Tylenol couldn't touch (backaches and headaches can be really bad :(). Is it possible that you all misread the situation and what appeared to be drug seeking behavior was in reality someone who was in pain (she did have it prescribed before after all) and the Membership realized it for what it was? No need to respond because we are venturing beyond RONR but merely some food for thought.

Archived