The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Vote mistake

est

After 3 days, when I received the revised Motion in writing, I noticed, that what I have voted for is not what I thought at the time of voting on the verbally presented revised Motion.

There were misleading factors at the time of voting, however I don't question that the lately written confirmation of the Motion is not the same as the verbal was. it was a slite section of the Motion, which turned the result to the opposite direction. I was not alone to have that misunderstanding. I reported immediately, that I misunderstood the meaning of the verbal Motion and asked to change my vote only. An other board member asked to reconsider the Motion. Some others symphatised with us, but they think is nothing can be done, just learn for the future.

Q: 1. Can I change my vote under the given circumstance ? Is any circumstance RONR considers as voter's mistake ?

2. Can I still go back to reconsider the content of the Motion, which would require a new vote with a special board meeting prior to the next Board meeting ?

3. Is there anything else I could do, other than learning for the future ? What RONR would allow ?

Thank You for Your comment.

Est

After 3 days, when I received the revised Motion in writing, I noticed, that what I have voted for is not what I thought at the time of voting on the verbally presented revised Motion.

There were misleading factors at the time of voting, however I don't question that the lately written confirmation of the Motion is not the same as the verbal was. it was a slite section of the Motion, which turned the result to the opposite direction. I was not alone to have that misunderstanding. I reported immediately, that I misunderstood the meaning of the verbal Motion and asked to change my vote only. An other board member asked to reconsider the Motion. Some others symphatised with us, but they think is nothing can be done, just learn for the future.

Q: 1. Can I change my vote under the given circumstance ? Is any circumstance RONR considers as voter's mistake ?

2. Can I still go back to reconsider the content of the Motion, which would require a new vote with a special board meeting prior to the next Board meeting ?

3. Is there anything else I could do, other than learning for the future ? What RONR would allow ?

Thank You for Your comment.

Est

I don't really understand the situation you are describing, but I am fairly certain is not a question or comment about the RONR Message Board. :-)

The only "written confirmation of the motion" there might be under RONR would be in the minutes of the meeting. If the minutes accurately state what the motion was, then that's the way the motion stands. But if the minutes are incorrect, then they should be corrected at the next meeting.

1. You cannot change your vote after the meeting, regardless of any confusion that may have occurred.

2. If the bylaws allow for calling a special meeting, then one may be called for the purpose of rescinding or amending the motion (I'm assuming from your questions that the motion was adopted).

3. RONR allows for all sorts of things, but usually one has to be quick about speaking up. If you ever have a question about what the exact wording of a motion is, ask the chair to read, or to instruct the secretary to read, the entire motion before voting on it, or at least immediately after voting on it.

I don't really understand the situation you are describing, but I am fairly certain is not a question or comment about the RONR Message Board. :-)

The only "written confirmation of the motion" there might be under RONR would be in the minutes of the meeting. If the minutes accurately state what the motion was, then that's the way the motion stands. But if the minutes are incorrect, then they should be corrected at the next meeting.

I'll throw in the observation that the version of the motion that was adopted was the version stated or otherwise indicated by the chair immediately before the vote. If the chair stated the motion differently than what was written down, then what was written down is incorrect.

'Course, in the real world (my experience of it at any rate) chairmen are quite remiss about carefully stating the motion jut before the voting takes place (not to mention when the motion is initiated -- "I so move" or "You have heard the motion" -- is all too common), in which case it is anybodies guess as to what the motion "really" was.

Move to amend it, and get it right, next meeting.

Or rescind the whole thing and start over.

Archived