The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Question regarding Membership

Guest canadian1000

I am not sure how to phrase this question, so please bare with me.

Background:

An association is meeting so that members can vote for one of two people who are seeking nomination to represent the association during an election. The only requirement is that each member (voter) must be required to live within a specific geographical area in order to be allowed to cast their ballot.

Situation:

There are two people seeking a nomination. Each person must sign up as many new memberships as possible in order for them to win the most votes during the nomination vote. Person X signs up 200 people and person Y signs up 190 people. After the vote takes place and Person X wins, it is later discovered that the people who voted for person x (his/her supporters) did not meet the residential requirement (by signing up with a fake address) What does Roberts Rules of Orders say?

Are they considered illegal votes?

I hope this is understandable! If someone can give me any references upon answering this question, it would help a lot!

Thank you

Although your "vote for nominations" system isn't found in RONR, you could argue the rules for "illegal votes" (for candidates - p. 416, line 27 ff.) would apply.

If there were enough illegal votes cast to make a difference in the outcome, then the whole works is invalid and you have to do it over again. BUT, if you can identify which votes were illegal (a non-secret ballot?) just toss them out of the counts and you are done.

But whether the particular "extra-territorial" ballots/votes were indeed "illegal" is up to you and your association to determine.

Thank you for your response!

Would it be possible for you to give me a direct quote for p. 416, line 27ff? Or a place where I can find it?

The library and the book store are two options. Recent editions of RONR are not available online, if that's what you are asking.

'If one or more ballots are identifiable as cast by persons not entitled to vote, these ballots are excluded in determining the number of votes cast for purposes of computing the majority. If there is evidence than any unidentifiable ballots were cast by persons not entitled to vote, and if there is any possibility that such ballots might affect the result, the entire ballot vote is null and void...'

Your organization wasn't really conducting a standard ballot vote -- I think that's why Dr. Stackpole said that "you could argue" that the above rules may apply...

Archived