The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Employee salaries

taffy571

I would say that since the pay rates are records of the society, and especially because the members are presumably paying these people, then the records should be open to inspection by any member.

Come to think of it, who decides how much these folks get paid? Don't the members have control of that?

We are at campground.

At our last budget meeting, we the board were asked to disclose the employee saleries to the membership. Do we have to or are they confidential.

So far as RONR is concerned, the board is not required to answer the question from an individual member nor is it prohibited from doing so. The membership could adopt a motion ordering the board to disclose the information by majority vote.

I would also strongly suggest consulting a lawyer, as it is quite possible there are legal considerations involved, which are beyond the scope of this forum.

I would say that since the pay rates are records of the society, and especially because the members are presumably paying these people, then the records should be open to inspection by any member.

I don't agree that RONR provides that the financial records (in their entirety) shall be subject to inspection by any member. The members have a right to inspect the minutes of the assembly, the rules of the society, and the reports of officers and committees (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 459, lines 4-5, 13-17, pg. 460, lines 6-26). It does not seem that the records in question fall into one of these categories. Thus, whether the members have access is governed by applicable law, the rules of the society, and any instructions the society has imposed on the board. In the absence of any of the above, it is at the board's discretion whether to release the information.

Come to think of it, who decides how much these folks get paid? Don't the members have control of that?

This may be the province of the board or Executive Director (or equivalent). See RONR, 11th ed., pg. 464, lines 26-29.

Archived