The Official RONR Q & A Forums

By Laws

Guest Brad

Following a motion to follow your bylaws, or point of order, would you vote on the motion? It seems to me your bylaws have long past been voted on.

See RONR pp. 247-255 for how a Point of Order is handled and pp. 255-260 for an Appeal (if someone disagrees with the Chair's ruling). However, depending on what in the bylaws is being violated it is quite possible that there is a very short period of time to raise the Point of Order and if you miss that it will be too late to object.

Following a motion to follow your bylaws, or point of order, would you vote on the motion? It seems to me your bylaws have long past been voted on.

No. Points of order are ruled on by the chair.

However, if the assembly believes that the chair's ruling is incorrect, a motion to Appeal From the Decision of the Chair, if made and seconded, would place the matter before the assembly to decide.

I concur with the previous responses, although I should clarify that neither the assembly or the chair is deciding whether to follow the Bylaws. As you say, the "Bylaws have long past been voted on." There are sometimes ambiguities in the Bylaws, however, so it may be unclear what the Bylaws mean in a particular instance - hence the Point of Order/Appeal process.

If the assembly is in agreement on what the Bylaws mean and is of the opinion that it can simply choose not to follow them then it is likely mistaken. Rules in the Bylaws may not be suspended unless the Bylaws provide for the rule's suspension or if the rule is in the nature of a rule of order.

A main motion "to follow the Bylaws," or something to that effect, is indeed out of order and unnecessary.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived