The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Moving a discussion from board minutes to excutive session

Guest Guest

I'm secretary for a club and the club board at the last minute asked me if we could move a discussion that was recorded in the board minutes to the excutive session minutes so that the general members of the club wouldn't see who we were discussing. It is my understanding that minutes are recorded in the order in which they are discussed and if they want an item to remain "private" they need to wait until excutive session is called. Our minutes are posted for club members to see after they have been approved. am I incorrect in thinking we may not move an item if it was discussed in the board meeting?

Thanks

Mary

am I incorrect in thinking we may not move an item if it was discussed in the board meeting?

Yes. And you'd be even more correct if you left any discussions out of the minutes in the first place. The minutes are the official record of what was done, not a transcript (or even a summary) of what was said.

Sorry I should have worded that different. When I say discussion it was only a reference for the decision. I.E. " A discussion took place regarding...... and the decision was......" It is an uphill battle with board members to keep the minutes to what is necessary for decisions. If they had their way our minutes would be 20 pages long with he said/she said in it. :o) Thanks!

When I say discussion it was only a reference for the decision. I.E. " A discussion took place regarding...... and the decision was......"

Just keep in mind that, at a meeting of the general membership, the assembly could order the reading of minutes from a board meeting, even if that meeting had been held in executive session.

Archived