The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Discipline without charges or Hearing.

dbeyer

Backstory

My family has been active members of Red Lion Faith Chapel a small non-demoninational church for over 10 years.

I was serving as:

Head of technology and ran all audio-video services for 8 years

Head of weekly mens breakfast/biblestudy for 18 months

Ran indivial mentoring bible studies

Conflict begain over differences in oppinion on level of intergery required for service. When things eseculated to the point I could no longer break bread and hold a succesful study with a couple of the deacons I resigned as head of the men's breakfast on 8-30-2012.

The next deacon meeting they voted to "relieved me of all duties and responsibilities" by e-mail. 9-2-2012

I sent a request to be notified of any charges against me and to pastor and all deacons without any responce.

The Chairman of the board refused Communion to my entire family 11-4-2012

I sent notice of appeal for administering discipline without charges or hearing to all members 11/28.

During Sunday Services, the chairman anounced next Sunday they scheluded a special emergency meeting to vote on new members

After services on Sunday, the chairman handed me a letter stating the deacons unanimously voted to terminate our membership but they would schedule a members meeting for our appeal. 12-2-2012

Member vote to allow a full and fair hearing. not scheduled yet most likely 12-16-2012

All the discipline administered to my family are permisable accordind to our contitution, however not before charges, and a full and fair hearing.

The consitution:

1. lists six offences that discipline can be administered for. You must be charge one of them.

2. Requires charges prefered.

3. Requires a full and fair hearing

4. Allows for the right of appeal in any constitution and proper manor.

5. When anyone becomes a member they must agree to abide by the constition.

Ok now my question:

1. Because all members have agreeded to the constitution and the constitution requires a full and fair hearing don't the members have a contractual obligation to vote for a hearing?

2. Shuold I be considering a civil complaint?

3. What other options do I have?

And if dbeyer would like parliamentary assistance in such interpretation/application he would certainly do well to

get in touch with

a real live professional

parliamentarian in your area

(not virtual ones like us)

for consultations.

Contact either (or both) the ...

National Association of Parliamentarians

213 South Main St.

Independence, MO 64050-3850

Phone: 888-627-2929

Fax: 816-833-3893;

e-mail: hq@NAP2.org