The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Seconds to motions made

Guest Raymond Vena

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on whether the chairman made it of his own accord, or if it was recommended by a majority of committee members.

If the chair did it himself, without putting it to vote to the entire committee, yes it does. In this case he/she wouldn't be acting as the committee chair, but as a normal member. He/she would be bringing it of his own accord.

If it was approved by a majority of committee members, no it does not. Now he would be acting as the committee chair because he was bringing it on behalf of the committee.

I can't give citations because I'm using a Kindle version of RONR (which doesn't give page numbers). If someone can help me out with that, that would be fantastic.

It depends on whether the chairman made it of his own accord, or if it was recommended by a majority of committee members.

The term "majority of committee members" is a bit misleading, since a majority vote, which is required to adopt most recommendations, is quite a different thing.

If the chair did it himself, without putting it to vote to the entire committee, yes it does. In this case he/she wouldn't be acting as the committee chair, but as a normal member. He/she would be bringing it of his own accord.

Once again, the "entire committee" need not be involved, so long as the recommendation was adopted at a committee meeting.

If it was approved . . . Now he would be acting as the committee chair because he was bringing it on behalf of the committee.

Actually, he would be the reporting member.

I can't give citations because I'm using a Kindle version of RONR (which doesn't give page numbers). If someone can help me out with that, that would be fantastic.

That's one reason to stop using the Kindle version. :)

RONR (11th ed.), p. 36, ll. 15-23.

Archived