The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Terms of Office

Louise

Right now, our Bylaws read, "A director is elected to serve a two-year term or until the Director's successor is elected."

Our Bylaws Committee has received the recommendation to change it to, "A director is elected to serve a two-year term or until the Director's successor is elected or until his or her term expires, whichever is first."

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but if we adopt this change, doesn't this mean that a director would NOT be able to stay on if there was no one elected to take his/her place? And that this could potentially be an undesirable situation to have put ourselves in?

Right now, I *think* what we have works pretty well with RONR; I'm concerned this change will take us decidedly out of RONR territory.

Sometimes it's glaringly obvious why we're not supposed to interpret bylaws on this forum...

I think that this would, indeed, mean that a director could not stay on past the end of his two-year term:

"A director is elected to serve a two-year term or until the Director's successor is elected, whichever is first."

I think the additional words, "or until his or her term expires," muddy the issue.

Yes this is a potentially undesirable situation to put yourselves in. Whose idea was this? Not a Canadian, I trust, and certainly not Louise herself.

Louise. You remember George's bloody eyes, from ten or fifteen minutes ago?

Umm...no, I missed that, I'm afraid. Did somebody hit him?

Thanks for confirming my hunch, gentlemen. No, I am definitely not the one who is recommending this, although it is (naturally) a Canadian who is doing so. ("Naturally" not because the recommendation is a poor one, but because I, well, live in Canada and deal with Canadians all the time. Even when I'm looking in a mirror. Can't get away from them, I'm afraid.)

Archived