The Official RONR Q & A Forums

homeowners insurance

Guest Belle

This may not be the appropriate forum to ask this but I was not sure where to go. I live in a common interest community of 36 townhomes. The units are attached in groups of four. Two years ago the board initiated a requirement that all homeowners provide an current copy of their homeowner's insurance for their unit (there is insurance for the common areas, also). What prompted this was a case where it was learned that a homeowner's insurance had expired and was not renewed because the townhome was listed for sale and there was no mortgage so no way to oversee that there was insurance. Can a common interest community require this proof of insurance and if so, where, in the Declaration, bylaws or rules and regs? I do know that condominium associations have this requirement.

thank you. If this is not the proper forum, could someone advise where to find this information. This association is in Illinois.

Chances are this is more of a legal than parliamentary question, however...

The general (RONR) rule is that a Board has only the powers that the membership vests it with ("We, the people..." and all that) and the location and documentation of such vesting would be in your various association documents, and probably the state law(s). You'll have to look there.

You are correct that this isn't the proper forum for your question. You are going to have to make use of a search engine to figure out where to find that info. Maybe using keywords like "Illinois" and "rules or laws regarding common interest community" will come up with some useful results.

Archived