The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Appointing Parliamentarian

Guest Sarge

I hope you have RONR (11th Edition), and if not you might want to purchase it. RONR discusses the role of Parliamentarian beginning on page 465, as well as how one might come to being appointed, his duties and restrictions, and more. If there's nothing in your rules about it, then you'd have to amend your bylaws (I'd think they'd be the best choice here) to create the position and how it is filled. But on a much simpler level, if the organization believes it needs to have one at its meetings, "the president should be free to appoint one in whom he has confidence." (RONR 11, p. 465 ll. 30-32) It's not to say the membership might not have a say in it as well, but that's one starting point.

Now, back to Edgar's question.......

If there's nothing in your rules about it, then you'd have to amend your bylaws (I'd think they'd be the best choice here) to create the position and how it is filled.

If the organization wishes to have a Parliamentarian that simply performs the duties described in RONR, then I do not agree that it would be necessary or desirable to amend the Constitution or Bylaws to provide for the position.

If the organization wishes for the Parliamentarian to serve on the board, as the original poster asked, then that would require an amendment to the Constitution or Bylaws (whichever describes the composition of the board - probably the former), but I would not advise this.

If the organization wishes to have a Parliamentarian that simply performs the duties described in RONR, then I do not agree that it would be necessary or desirable to amend the Constitution or Bylaws to provide for the position.

Well, I did mention that to simply have a Parliamentarian at a meeting, the President could choose one in whom he has confidence. But Guest_Sarge was hinting at the possible intent of having it as a Board position, and if so, would the Constitution need to be amended. For that, amending something (I'd think bylaws would be preferrable) would seem to be required, yes? I thought I had covered the bases, but perhaps I wasn't clear enough.

Well, I did mention that to simply have a Parliamentarian at a meeting, the President could choose one in whom he has confidence. But Guest_Sarge was hinting at the possible intent of having it as a Board position, and if so, would the Constitution need to be amended. For that, amending something (I'd think bylaws would be preferrable) would seem to be required, yes? I thought I had covered the bases, but perhaps I wasn't clear enough.

Yes, I think there were some clarity issues, but also, if the desire is to make the Parliamentarian a board position, then the society will need to amend whichever document defines the composition of the board... and I would guess this would be the Constitution.

Our constitution and bylaws are silent regarding parliamentarians. Is this a board-appointed position? Is it a board position? If it is added to the board, does the constitution have to be amended?

I don't see why you would need to amend your constitution to add a parliamentarian, any more than you would need to amend it to acquire the services of an electrician, or someone like him. There's little to be gained by making the parliamentarian an actual member of the board, and you could certainly have him show up and do the job without being a member.

That's presuming you need a parliamentarian (or electrician) at all.

Archived