The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Point of Order

Guest Kate

No.

"When a Question of Privilege or a Point of Order has been ruled on adversely by the chair, it cannot be raised again at the same session unless an appeal is made and the chair's decision is reversed. After a decision of the chair has been sustained on an appeal, no point of order or appeal contary to it can be made during that session."

RONR (11th ed.), p.338, l. 34 to p. 339, l. 4

RONR (11th ed.), p.338, l. 34 to p. 339, l. 4

That was the one i was looking for! But I still hold by "it depends", it is not clear that this is the same point being raised because I am not sure what "on the same topic" means, but I suspect i am reading too much between the lines, which I sometimes do when I have not yet completed my morning coffee.

That was the one i was looking for! But I still hold by "it depends", it is not clear that this is the same point being raised because I am not sure what "on the same topic" means, but I suspect i am reading too much between the lines, which I sometimes do when I have not yet completed my morning coffee.

No worries, Doc......."it depends" is probably more accurate since I can't even see lines prior to my 5th cup or so! Perhaps Guest Kate will provide some additonal facts so that one word answers can carry the day once again.

• 10 months later...

May a point of personal privilege be permitted in a called meeting?

A question of privilege is in order in a special meeting if it arises in connection with the business included in the call or the conduct of the meeting. Additionally, most questions of privilege are actually questions of privilege of the assembly - questions of personal privilege are quite rare. Additional facts about what exactly the question of privilege is regarding may help to give a more definite answer.

For future reference, it's generally best to post a new question as a new topic, even if an existing topic seems similar.

Archived