The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Expelling a member

Guest John

I am a member of a youth football organization. Our organization is actually a Parent Organization, which is governed by a Board of Directors and a set of poorly written by-laws. However, as part of the by-laws, it states that anything not included within will defer to Robert's Rules of Order. I am a football coach that is extremely popular with my players and their parents. I am disliked amongst many Board members because I hold them accountable for the many issues within our organization. The problems start with no tax returns filed in 10 years, the loss of Tax-exempt status (yet continue to use a "fraudulant tax exempt cert" when purchasing from local vendors.

The Board says that they voted me out of the organization last fall. I was not notified of such action and there are no notes within the monthly minutes. They recently enacted a "new By-law" which states that any member who has been expelled in the past is now expelled for life!

My question: are such actions allowable under Robert's Rules?

Thank you very much!

John

Our organization is actually a Parent Organization, which is governed by a Board of Directors and a set of poorly written by-laws.

To follow up on Mr. Harrison's reply, let's say there are 12 board members and 120 members in the organization. If it came down to a vote, who would win? Check those bylaws (carefully) and then get the numbers on your side.

Within the By-laws, the Board is NOT granted the right to expel members. Further, when the proposed By-law change was written, it was NOT given to the entire membership, as REQUIRED by our By-laws. If was only passed amongst the "voting membership and Executive Board".

Do these facts negate the ruling of the Board and further negate the "legality" of the By-law change?

Thanks very much! I really appreciate any, all input.

Do these facts negate the ruling of the Board and further negate the "legality" of the By-law change?

It would appear so. But you'll still need the numbers on your side. So make sure all the members have a copy of the bylaws and then convince a majority to interpret them the same way you do.

Within the By-laws, the Board is NOT granted the right to expel members. Further, when the proposed By-law change was written, it was NOT given to the entire membership, as REQUIRED by our By-laws. If was only passed amongst the "voting membership and Executive Board".

Well, keep in mind that it's up to the organization to interpret its Bylaws. See RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 588-591 for some Principles of Interpretation. So we can't tell you whether your interpretation of the Bylaws is correct. That will be up to the society.

But if you are correct, then it would seem that the expulsion and the amendment to the Bylaws are null and void.

I would also suggest you get a copy of The Book: http://www.robertsrules.com/book.html and the short version of the book: http://www.robertsrules.com/inbrief.html

I do suggest you read up on points of order, and appeal the decision of the chair. Also, make sure to invite voting members along to meetings. I assume your group has both general meetings and board meetings?

Archived