The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive Meeting

Guest Hanna Stadler

Can a newly elected Board of Directors, at their initial Executive Meeting, pass proposed motions by a single member to change long established procedures of our organization without first going to the general membership for a vote. This action was taken recently and the motions that passed (which impact all members) were announced at the general meeting. After the meeting, I emailed the Presiding Officer requesting that the motions be rescinded because I did not believe parliamentary procedure was followed. I feel this matter needs to be presented to the general membership for a vote. My request was denied.,

Can a newly elected Board of Directors, at their initial Executive Meeting, pass proposed motions by a single member to change long established procedures of our organization without first going to the general membership for a vote.[?]

It can if your rules rules authorize it to do so. Read your bylaws to see what they have to say about the authority your board has. The fact some (or even all) of its members are "newly-elected" is irrelevant. The fact that the motion was adopted by just one vote might be relevant. What you mean by an "executive meeting" is unclear (but probably irrelevant).

Can a newly elected Board of Directors, at their initial Executive Meeting, pass proposed motions by a single member to change long established procedures of our organization without first going to the general membership for a vote. This action was taken recently and the motions that passed (which impact all members) were announced at the general meeting. After the meeting, I emailed the Presiding Officer requesting that the motions be rescinded because I did not believe parliamentary procedure was followed. I feel this matter needs to be presented to the general membership for a vote. My request was denied.,

If the motions would be in order anyway, according to your bylaws, and are properly adopted, then the fact that they were made by a new member is not relevant.

To pass motions normally requires a majority vote, so the likelihood that these were passed by a "single member" is, I hope, not what you really mean. As far as making the motions is concerned, all motions are made by a single member.

As to the question of whether to board had the power to do what it did (or tried to do), that depends on your bylaws. The board has only the powers delegated to it in the bylaws.

And depending on your bylaws, your general membership may vote to overturn the decision of the board. Some people, and organizations, seem to think the the power flows from the Chair, then to the Board, then to the general membership. Actually, it is typically the other way round - the general membership, acting together, is the group that has the power. (again, this will depend on how the bylaws are worded in YOUR organization)

Archived