The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Club Elections

Guest Susie Q

Can someone please clarify for me. I belong to a club and the auxiliary has its nominations for office coming up. We have a council of five. One person chose not to run again but the other four will continue on. In the bylaws there is no stipulation as to how many years you can be on the board. My question is since the one chose not to run again, would that mean there is only one spot to fill since the other four stated they would continue on.

My question is since the one chose not to run again, would that mean there is only one spot to fill since the other four stated they would continue on.

You say "there is no stipulation as to how many years you can be on the board". Do you mean there are no term limits (which is not uncommon) or that there are no terms of office at all (which would be quite unusual)?

In any event, if all terms expire then all seats are open. There's no guarantee that the incumbents will be re-elected.

p9yB4e

In the bylaws it states officers shall consist of a President, Vice-President, Recording Secretary, Treasurer, Dues Secretary and five Council. The term of office will be for one year or until a successor is elected.

Does this mean that when one decides not to run a successor is elected or would it mean all five Council are up for election?

In the bylaws it states officers shall consist of a President, Vice-President, Recording Secretary, Treasurer, Dues Secretary and five Council. The term of office will be for one year or until a successor is elected.

Does this mean that when one decides not to run a successor is elected or would it mean all five Council are up for election?

All five council seats and, it looks like, the other five offices as well.

9V4257

My question is since the one chose not to run again, would that mean there is only one spot to fill since the other four stated they would continue on.

This would not be compatible with the democratic process, shall we say. Look at how it works in politics - once you're elected, you can definitely run again (provided there aren't term limits), but you don't get to forbid other people from running against you.

Can someone please clarify for me. I belong to a club and the auxiliary has its nominations for office coming up. We have a council of five. One person chose not to run again but the other four will continue on.

Umm, no. They might continue on if they get re-elected, but they can't just decide to stay. If nobody runs against them, their chances of staying are better, but that's not guaranteed. One person decided not to run, and presumably the other four decided they would run. Now they have to get re-elected.

In the bylaws there is no stipulation as to how many years you can be on the board. My question is since the one chose not to run again, would that mean there is only one spot to fill since the other four stated they would continue on.

If there is no stipulation on term limits, then they can continue to run for office time after time, and be on the board for an unlimited period of time. But only if people keep on voting for them. The other four can "state" anything they like, but they can't continue in office unless they're re-elected.

Ask yourself--why did Pres. Obama have to run for re-election? Why didn't he just "state" that he was staying on? Same reasons.

Archived