The Official RONR Q & A Forums

notice of meeting in writing

carld

That's the sort of interpretation that's left to each organization to determine.

One might even claim that "in writing" means handwritten (i.e. not typed). Not that I would, but stranger things have happened.

Which reminds me that Truman Capote once famously remarked about Jack Kerouac's output, "That's not writing; it's typing".

RONR does make reference to notice, in the section on regular meetings, being sent by email to members who agree to receive it in that fashion. (RONR 11, p. 89) Beyond that, I can't put my finger on another citation at the moment. In general, I'd say that "written" refers to something read (as opposed to a phone call), and "sent" means mailed through the postal service, but those arguments have not been definitively resolved as I recall.

In general, I'd say that "written" refers to something read (as opposed to a phone call), and "sent" means mailed through the postal service, but those arguments have not been definitively resolved as I recall.

I can say definitively that it is possible to send things by means other than mailing through the postal service. :)

If the By-Laws specify that two-week notice of a special meeting of members be in writing, is this requirement met by sending email messages to them?

See §9:

"When notice is required to be sent, unless a different standard is specified that requirement is met if written notice is sent to each member either:

a) by postal mail to the member’s last known address; or
B)
by a form of electronic communication, such as e-mail or fax, by which the member has agreed to receive notice."

Archived