The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Calling Committee Meetings

DrEntropy

Tangential to this thread:

http://robertsrules.forumflash.com/index.php?/topic/19315-conflict-in-a-committee/

The question I have: Is it crystal clear to everyone else (its not to me) that RONR 11th pg 499 l. 21-25 authorizes any two members to call any meeting of the committee, not just the first?  It is also not clear to me that the chair (or two members) can call another meeting if one has been scheduled at the end of the previous meeting (see RONR 11th starting on pg.501 l.28).  

However, HMR's Parliamentary Law is clear on this. Parliamentary Law says that the chairman or any two members can call any meeting.   Parliamentary Law says specifically that  meetings after the first can be called by any two members, for example.   (see page 265 and also perhaps 124). I don't find RONR so clear on this, and would appreciate any help .... Is there another reference into RONR that I am missing?

George: Thanks for the pointer.. my search-fu failed me!   What is your opinion of the case where an adjourned meeting was set, can the chair (or two members) call a meeting before that meeting occurs?

No, unless by some strange provision in the bylaws they are authorized to call a special meeting.  A regular assembly would be required to call a special meeting in the interim between meetings if the bylaws permitted it so I think a committee would have to as well.

Archived