The Official RONR Q & A Forums

no Parliamentarian

Jason H

I'm a general member of an association that follows bylaws that include the election of a Parliamentarian, who is also an officer and board member. (Otherwise, the association is governed by the latest edition of RROO.)

The Parliamentarian has been absent from the majority of meetings throughout the year. To make things worse, the board members (especially the chair) have little knowledge of RROO and procedure is routinely violated.

I understand, as a general member attending board meeting, I have no rights to comment on procedural violations (using points of order.)

What recourse does a general member have if the association which he's a member of, continually violates process?

What options are available (to general members or board members) to resolve matters that have been executed through gross violations of process?

JH

Raise timely Points of Order and promptly Appeal any adverse rulings (RONR pp. 247-260).  Also, make sure that you have plenty of members (of the body which is meeting) to back you up in what you are doing.  When you are raising those Points of Order and Appeals make sure you have a copy of RONR and any applicable governing documents on hand so you can cite what needs to be done (or shouldn't be done) chapter and verse.

I'm a general member of an association that follows bylaws that include the election of a Parliamentarian, who is also an officer and board member. (Otherwise, the association is governed by the latest edition of RROO.)

The Parliamentarian has been absent from the majority of meetings throughout the year. To make things worse, the board members (especially the chair) have little knowledge of RROO and procedure is routinely violated.

I understand, as a general member attending board meeting, I have no rights to comment on procedural violations (using points of order.)

What recourse does a general member have if the association which he's a member of, continually violates process?

What options are available (to general members or board members) to resolve matters that have been executed through gross violations of process?

Members of the body that is meeting (so members of the association at a meeting of the general membership and members of the board at board meetings) may raise a Point of Order and an Appeal if necessary. Generally speaking, a Point of Order must be raised at the time of the violation.

If the general members have a problem with the board's habitual failure to follow procedure, and the board does not correct this problem itself, I suggest getting better board members. See FAQ #20.

Get the president a copy of RONR-In Brief, and give him a nickel to read it. Have him read it while you both stand there. No kidding.* It'll take an hour and a half. Don't let him refuse the nickel -- it's a subconscious obligation, in part, paradoxically, because of the trivial amount. Also remind him, if he balks, thinking of the carrot and the stick, that The Two Fisted Parliamentarians Club can find out where he lives, and, more important, where his yacht is moored.

Also mind that Chris Harrison (post 2) was referring to what you, as a general member, can do at membership meetings, and what you can coax and coach board members to do at board meetings.

*Maybe slightly kidding -- but if you don't, most of the time weeks will go by and it doesn't get done. Reminds me of my laundry.

Archived