The Official RONR Q & A Forums

rude/uneducated? difficult member

Hoa board member

I am at witts end. I have been appointed pres due to lack of homeowners participation. I was in another position on Bod for first time last year.

1. Treasurer states "I ONLY want to deal with financial things...ONLY"

2. Treasurer in general refuses to answer email that I send to her.

3. At meetings, treasurer repeatedly informs me : "I don't want this meeting to be long-I want it short .

I don't want you to let these people repeat what they just said.

I would also love a short monthly meeting but I feel people have a right to voice their frustrations/likes, etc. If it takes 15 mi utes per person, fine by me! There are usually only 5-9 people at our meetings. We want more people to show up and by not letting them talk/participate I feel that THEY won't want to come because they aren't even allowed to talk or do some socializing.

The treasurer in particular doesn't even want the few people to approach the table to say "Hello" to us after the Homeowners forum and before the executive part of the meeting.

I feel a 10-15 minute "Hello/how are you/welcome to our meeting is not out of line and encourages an atmosphere of community.

I have repeatedly offered this member to walk the grounds with me since May. She says she will but never does (200 units)

This is a small Hoa. Four (4) Board members.

When I either attempt to vote or make a motion, both she and another member get loud/rude..."YOU CAN'TVOTE OR MAKE A MOTION..YOU AAREN'T ALLOWED" . I TRY TO EXPLAIN THAT I can and they both are loudly "Oh no you can't! !" This is during monthly meetings. It has happened twice.

A landlord made a violation- running air conditioning return lines on the outside of our new siding, enclosed in metal pipe.

Our cc&r's say nothing can be attached to the exterior. When landlord received a violation, then wanted to paint the metal the same color as the siding. Both of these members said "Great! We are so happy you want to do work yourself! They don't even look at the actual pipe /and/or the violation that he did!

I was almost 2000 miles away at the time and had to try to deal with this.

What do you suggest I do with the one in particular?

How do I get these people to take their responsibilities seriously?

I would prefer this member wasn't even on our Board with this attitude. She was not elected-we did not have enough candidates and she offered to be the treasurer because she works in a bank. She even has refused to go to the management's to put her name/signiture on record for signing checks.

I get complaints from the management company that she has not responded to email that has invoices that she is supposed to approve. Their policy is to pay their vendor's weekly and by her not looking at her emails daily it delays their policy.

Thank you.

3. At meetings, treasurer repeatedly informs me : "I don't want this meeting to be long-I want it short .

I don't want you to let these people repeat what they just said.

I would also love a short monthly meeting but I feel people have a right to voice their frustrations/likes, etc. If it takes 15 mi utes per person, fine by me! There are usually only 5-9 people at our meetings. We want more people to show up and by not letting them talk/participate I feel that THEY won't want to come because they aren't even allowed to talk or do some socializing.

I am somewhat in sympathy with your treasurer, though. Is this a board meeting that you're having hours of complaints at, from general meeting, before the board is allowed to get to the business at hand?

Archived