The Official RONR Q & A Forums

write-in votes

Humane Society member

Some time ago, I asked if write-in votes were acceptable when voting is by ballot and the bylaws are silent.  I was told write-in votes are 'always permissible when the vote is by ballot'.  There was an election last night, an attorney was in attendance, and the membership was told write-ins would not be accepted.  Needless to say, membership decreased by several.

Some time ago, I asked if write-in votes were acceptable when voting is by ballot and the bylaws are silent.  I was told write-in votes are 'always permissible when the vote is by ballot'.  There was an election last night, an attorney was in attendance, and the membership was told write-ins would not be accepted.  Needless to say, membership decreased by several.

Attorneys are allowed to be incorrect when it comes to Robert's Rules.  Did he say why?

The attorney may have been advising the society regarding a higher-level rule, such as procedural rules in applicable law.

Archived