The Official RONR Q & A Forums

resending ballots because of tie

pamcelesnik

OK, is there a time limit on how soon ballots have to mailed out for an election redo as we had a tie ? the original ones had to be post marked by November 30 back to the committee chair ,  the committe counted them on  December 7th 

how soon do the next ones have ot be mailed out does the RNOR set a time  limit this?  if so wher can I find it ? wondering do to holidays.  Also the election commitee would remain the same correct?

OK, is there a time limit on how soon ballots have to mailed out for an election redo as we had a tie ? the original ones had to be post marked by November 30 back to the committee chair ,  the committe counted them on  December 7th 

how soon do the next ones have ot be mailed out does the RNOR set a time  limit this?  if so wher can I find it ? wondering do to holidays. 

RONR does not provide rules on this subject.

Also the election commitee would remain the same correct?

RONR doesn't refer to an "election committee." If it's anything like a teller's committee (which is responsible for counting the ballots), there's no reason it has to remain the same - but there's also no reason it can't.

Generally speaking, I think it would remain the same.

I think I'd first try a re-count.

In the long run, since you permit voting by mail, you might want to adopt a procedure for deciding an election in the unlikely (?) event of a tie (though what that procedure might be escapes me at the moment).

Just out of curiosity, are we talking about something like a 10-10 tie or something like a 538-538 tie?

Guest Captain Obvious

I think I'd first try a re-count.

In the long run, since you permit voting by mail, you might want to adopt a procedure for deciding an election in the unlikely (?) event of a tie (though what that procedure might be escapes me at the moment).

Hey, how about a coin toss!

Yes, it is a mail  ballot vote and yes, we did a recount twice it came up the same each time.  :(  We had three positions up for election we had 8 people running 2 where elected by majority vote  the 3rd was a tie, our constitution does not allow us to drop candidates so we are going to put all none elected candidates back on the ballot and mail them out . In twenty years of doing this this is the 1st time  this has happened . So It is a leaning experience for all of us.  I thank you all for your help and patience with me   Pam  

PS

the tie was 55 to 55

...and mail them out . In twenty years of doing this this is the 1st time  this has happened . So It is a leaning experience for all of us....

PS

the tie was 55 to 55

You're welcome; parliamentarians (and aspiring parliamentarians like me) enjoy increasing the knowledge and good will in the world; some of us think of it as imminentizing the eschaton (or immanentizing, I forget which, or whether it matters).

I suggest you read the discussion thread that is linked in Post 8, maybe before you send the next round of ballots out (although it might just be academic for you if your organization won't have a meeting before the balloting occurs). A tally of 55 to 55 again, or even just 44 to 44, would be distressing.  It would make my head spin or tear my hair out or some other metaphor.

Archived