The Official RONR Q & A Forums

All ex officio

Timothy

Suppose an organization has five committees elected from the general assembly and another committee that is defined as being made up of the chairs of the five committees. Would all five members of that committee be considered ex officio members of the committee? If so, what would this mean in terms of obtaining a quorum, since ex officio members are not considered when calculating the quorum?

I'm not exactly clear as to what point GcT is driving at, but the cited pages relate to quora in Boards, not (near as I can tell) to committees.

P. 499, l. 25ff. are clear that a majority of the membership is a committee quorum.  No distinction is made between ex officio members (no matter where they came from) and "regular" (elected, appointed, whatever) members.  Ex officio committee members are full fledged members and are considered in quorum calculations.

I'm not exactly clear as to what point GcT is driving at, but the cited pages relate to quora in Boards, not (near as I can tell) to committees.

P. 499, l. 25ff. are clear that a majority of the membership is a committee quorum.  No distinction is made between ex officio members (no matter where they came from) and "regular" (elected, appointed, whatever) members.  Ex officio committee members are full fledged members and are considered in quorum calculations.

Well, as noted on page 497, lines 20-22, the "rules affecting ex-officio members of committees are the same as those applying to ex-officio members of boards (pp. 483–84)."

Sorry about that. :)

Would all five members of that committee be considered ex officio members of the committee?

Yes.

If so, what would this mean in terms of obtaining a quorum, since ex officio members are not considered when calculating the quorum?

That's actually only true for some ex officio members... and not the ones you're asking about. See FAQ #2 for more information.

Archived