The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Appointment of Tellers

George Mervosh

If the society's bylaws grant the President the authority to appoint all standing and special committees, except the Nominating Committee and any disciplinary committees, and no provision is made for this rule's suspension, does this authority apply to the appointment of tellers in an election (p. 414) in the sense that the President's choices are final and cannot be changed by the assembly? Or is this authority not applicable at all when it comes to selecting tellers.

If the society's bylaws grant the President the authority to appoint all standing and special committees, except the Nominating Committee and any disciplinary committees, and no provision is made for this rule's suspension, does this authority apply to the appointment of tellers in an election (p. 414) in the sense that the President's choices are final and cannot be changed by the assembly? Or is this authority not applicable at all when it comes to selecting tellers.

If such authority applied to the appointment of tellers, this would not only suggest that the President's choices are final and cannot be changed by the assembly, but also that tellers cannot be appointed in the President's absence. (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 495, lines 18-26) This does not seem to be reasonable, so I think that the authority does not apply to the selection of tellers.

I agree. Using the same initial facts, would you draw any distinction between your average every day assembly and something large such as a convention of delegates where the tellers are typically selected well in advance of the meeting and the worry about the President's absence is typically not an issue when it comes to appointing committee members?

I agree. Using the same initial facts, would you draw any distinction between your average every day assembly and something large such as a convention of delegates where the tellers are typically selected well in advance of the meeting and the worry about the President's absence is typically not an issue when it comes to appointing committee members?

It's conceivable that in such a case the rule might apply, however, the duties of the tellers are in connection with meetings, and so such a rule, as applied to the selection of tellers, would be in the nature of a rule of order and could be suspended in that case.

It's conceivable that in such a case the rule might apply, however, the duties of the tellers are in connection with meetings, and so such a rule, as applied to the selection of tellers, would be in the nature of a rule of order and could be suspended in that case.

I think that's right.  I'm not even certain the appointment of tellers actually constitutes appointment of members to a special committee, and RONR giving the presiding officer the authority to appoint them (p. 414) seems to bolster this belief.  Since it's something he does that's related to the conduct of the meeting, I think your final answer is correct even if some feel the tellers are in the nature of a special committee.

Archived