The Official RONR Q & A Forums

substitute motion

Guest Ross L

Recently attended a meeting of the County Commission and they had at least 3 motions on the floor at once by making a substitute motion. Each "substitute motion" was made by someone other that the original motion and after the initial motion was seconded. I cannot find any information on this so my question is do they

"substitute motions" exist?

it is possible to have a motion on the floor, a (primary) amendment is then moved, then a (secondary) amendment is moved.  Also, there is such a thing as amending something by offering a substitute for all or part of the original language.  Whether anything that happened at the meeting was proper is something we couldn't answer but see RONR pp. 130-168 for the motion to amend in all of its glory.

. . . they had at least 3 motions on the floor at once . . . 

Well, you can have a main motion pending (i.e. on the floor). And then an amendment (a proposed change) to that motion could be pending. And then an amendment to that amendment could be pending. But that's the limit.You work backwards to the main motion.

However, an amendment that is not germane to the motion is not in order. For example, if the resolution is pending "Resolved, that bacon and eggs shall be served for breakfast in the club's restaurant", a motion to amend the resolution by striking out "bacon and eggs" and inserting "pop-tarts" is in order (albeit not nutritious). A motion to amend the resolution by substituting "Resolved, that the club shall purchase $200 of American flight vouchers as a prize for the next tombola" is out of order.

Archived