The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Work Session Preceding a Board Meeting

lewg@haywardrec.org

If I have a Budget Work Session set for 5:30 p.m. and the Regular Board Meeting set for 7:00 p.m. on the same day, do we call the Regular Meeting to order and adjourn to the Budget Work Session - or do the Board Members and Staff go straight into the Work Session?  For a Closed Session, we do call the Regular Board Meeting to order and adjourn to the Closed Session.  Should either be called to order at the "Regular Board Meeting"  even though the "Regular Board Meeting" does not start until 7:00 p.m.? 

If I have a Budget Work Session set for 5:30 p.m. and the Regular Board Meeting set for 7:00 p.m. on the same day, do we call the Regular Meeting to order and adjourn to the Budget Work Session - or do the Board Members and Staff go straight into the Work Session?

I don't quite understand all of this, but it seems to me that if a board meeting is set for 7:00 PM, the board meeting should not be called to order until 7:00 PM.

For a Closed Session, we do call the Regular Board Meeting to order and adjourn to the Closed Session.

There is no need to adjourn a meeting (nor should you) simply to go into executive ("closed") session. At most, you might want to call a brief recess so non-members can leave the room.

There is no need to adjourn a meeting (nor should you) simply to go into executive ("closed") session. At most, you might want to call a brief recess so non-members can leave the room.

I don't quite understand all of this, but it seems to me that if a board meeting is set for 7:00 PM, the board meeting should not be called to order until 7:00 PM.

• Are these two meetings both meetings of the Board? 
  • What is your distinction between a Work Session and a Regular Meeting?  (There isn't one in RONR).

I am trying to ensure I am, as well as the Board Members are, adhering to any Roberts Rules of Order and/or Brown Act requirements.  There is a distinction from a Board Meeting which has several items on the Agenda as opposed to a Work Session which is a less formal meeting to discuss in depth one particular topic.  Our Board Members and Staff are going into a Work Session without any formal opening of the meeting (because that is the way they have done it forever, regardless of RRO/ Brown Act).  If anyone can direct me to any reference in RRO/Brown Act on this matter, I would appreciate it.  Or is this something that RRO/Brown Act is silent on and is just a matter of preference that should be spelled out in the bylaws?

Archived