The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Joint Agency Work Session

lewg@haywardrec.org

Does Robert's Rules address whether or not minutes must be taken at any Board of Directors Work Session (or joint agency work session)?  

As the Executive Assistant, including my predecessor, I have not been present at work sessions/joint agency work sessions and therefore have not taken minutes.  There is an agenda that is posted and it is open to the public, however, it is my understanding that because there is no vote taken on any of the topics, Robert's Rules are suspended and do not apply to work sessions.  

. . . it is my understanding that because there is no vote taken on any of the topics, Robert's Rules are suspended and do not apply to work sessions.  

Minutes should be taken for all board meetings (regardless of whether any votes take place). Whether your "work session" constitutes a meeting of the board is for you to determine. And Robert's Rules are never "suspended" (though, again, if this isn't a meeting then they wouldn't apply; just as they don't apply at picnics or dances).

Archived