The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Using Email to Vote

Guest Guest

An organization that I am a part of needed to get the approval of the Executive Board to release funds for reimbusement to members.  The Chair decided to convene a meeting through email, the chair email the motion and requested the Executive Board  Members to Move,  and Second the motion, once the motion was carried and submitted for the vote the Executive Board Members needed to vote yes or no by email.  I need to know if this a legal vote according to Rober's Rules of Order standards?

An organization that I am a part of needed to get the approval of the Executive Board to release funds for reimbusement to members.  The Chair decided to convene a meeting through email, the chair email the motion and requested the Executive Board  Members to Move,  and Second the motion, once the motion was carried and submitted for the vote the Executive Board Members needed to vote yes or no by email.  I need to know if this a legal vote according to Rober's Rules of Order standards?

No, it's not.  If your bylaws don't have rules that allow e-mail voting, anything decided that way is null and void.

Archived