The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Hire a Parliamentarian for a Special Meeting

lance4170

Hello,

Our homeowner's association has called for a Special Meeting in early November to vote on a proposed by-law amendment that would provide for a very limited process through which our Association could add members.  For reasons that seem irrelevant and unclear, there is a group of members who are opposing this matter. 

It is certainly their right, but I do anticipate a problematic vote and our understanding of the finer points of procedural matters including how to call and count the vote, even friendly amendments, etc, are not pristine and that could make the meeting that much more complicated.

If we wanted to hire someone help us make sure the meeting runs properly, is there a way I can find someone qualified in the central Connecticut area (we are near Hartford, CT).  I didn't know if there is a directory of people qualified in this fashion.

Thank you,

LJB

Directory and referrals available at...

Contact either (or both) the ...

National Association of Parliamentarians
213 South Main St.
Independence, MO  64050-3850

Phone: 888-627-2929
Fax: 816-833-3893;  
e-mail: hq@NAP2.org  
<<www.parliamentarians.org>>

or

American Institute of Parliamentarians
550M Ritchie Highway #271
Severna Park, MD  21146

Phone: 888-664-0428
Fax: 410-544-4640
e-mail: aip@aipparl.org
<<www.aipparl.org>>

for a reference or information.

However, keep in mind that the Parliamentarian has no right to attend the meeting (to advise the Chair and assembly) unless the members permit his attendance and any fees charged would be on the people who hired him unless the members agree to pay it.  So in other words, if the members don't think they need (or want) a parliamentarian at the meeting you can hire one to advise you prior to the meeting but it will be on your own dime.

Archived