The Official RONR Q & A Forums

due observance

helphelpme

Well, I suppose (the phrase isn't in RONR, although some of the presiding officer's duties described on p. 449-50 come pretty close), it could mean that the president can rule (in a meeting, of course, and subject to appeal) that a particular motion is out of order if it is clearly in violation of one or more bylaws.

Other than that possibility, it ill be up to the association to figure out what your phrase means - see your other posting, or ask the person who wrote it.

What does "enforce a due observance of these bylaws" generally mean when listed under the job responsibilities of the president of an organization?

Well, "due" in this context would mean "to the extent adequate".  But then you're left wondering how much observance (short of complete observance) is "adequate".  Whatever that amount is, that's the amount of observance the president is supposed to enforce.

That's largely the president's responsibility anyway, at least in the job of presiding officer, so I'm not sure why you bothered to include it in your bylaws. 

What does "enforce a due observance of these bylaws" generally mean when listed under the job responsibilities of the president of an organization?

There is no way to tell, using only Robert's Rules of Order.

The phraseology is not taken from Robert's Rules of Order.

Q. What is the difference between _____ ?

(a.) "enforce a due observance of these bylaws"

vs.

(b.) "enforce [...] these bylaws"

How can a mere chairman or president enforce somebody else's "observance" of a set of rules?

E.g., -- How will you enfoce my observance of a set of bylaws?

Archived