The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Special Call Meeting

CrystalDiamond

I'm pretty sure you don't need a sergeant-at-arms for your committee meeting. But if you must have one then select a new one the same way you selected the former one. If you're lucky, the same uniform will fit.

Edited to add: What, by the way, does his have to do with the topic of your post, "Special Call Meeting"?

I am the chair of the New Bylaws committee. Our Sergeant-At-Arms resigned. Can I ask for a volunteer? This is just for my meeting not for our club.

If your organization has no rules on the subject, then I believe the committee would elect such a position by majority vote or unanimous consent. You can ask for volunteers, but the committee will have the final decision on whether to elect the person as Sergeant-at-Arms (and whether to have a Sergeant-at-Arms at all, for that matter).

I also concur with Edgar that the idea that a committee would need a Sergeant-at-Arms is extremely concerning. The role of such a position can involve taking care of the physical arrangements of the hall in a larger assembly (microphones and the like), but this would seem unnecessary in a committee. The other role of such a position is to deal with disorderly members or guests who refuse to cease their disorderly behavior when ordered to do so by the chair (and by the committee), and one would hope this is not a problem in a committee.

If this is a serious issue, this should be reported to the appointing authority, so that the offending members can be replaced with people who will behave themselves.

It is a serious issue and I am mainly concerned with disorderly people, people talking out of turn, screaming at each other as the way it has been. When you began to make people accountable for money especially they become obstinate and argumentative.  Change and transition is going to be tough for them.  I never correct a fool, they will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you..

It is a serious issue and I am mainly concerned with disorderly people, people talking out of turn, screaming at each other as the way it has been. When you began to make people accountable for money especially they become obstinate and argumentative.  Change and transition is going to be tough for them.  I never correct a fool, they will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you..

If you, as the chair, think you need a sergeant-at-arms (for a bylaws committee meeting), I would suggest you're not a very good chair.

If you haven't already done so, you might want to read RONR's suggestions for inexperienced presiding officers.

This is just for my meeting not for our club.

It's not your meeting.

To be clear, it violates no rule to be obstinate and argumentative or to oppose change or transition (or to oppose making people accountable for money), but it does violate the rules to speak out of turn, let alone to be screaming at other members while doing so.

If you, as the chair, think you need a sergeant-at-arms (for a bylaws committee meeting), I would suggest you're not a very good chair.

Oh, come on. If the "screaming at each other" is not an exaggeration, and the members refuse to desist after being called to order, the committee may well need a Sergeant-at-Arms regardless of how skilled the chair is, until the appointing authority replaces these members with responsible adults.

It is certainly unusual that a bylaws committee can keep its members present and awake, let alone that they are "screaming at each other," but if this is in fact the case, then that certainly is a problem, and not one that can be entirely blamed on the chair.

Archived