The Official RONR Q & A Forums

1 member, 1 person

Tom Coronite

The committee preparing the ballot for our church's search committee approved a request from one of the nominees that, if she were elected, her spouse would also be elected.  Her spouse was not on the ballot.  It was proposed that the 2 would then be on the committee as 1 "person" with one vote.

There was some discussion that this arrangement would be noted on the ballot or at least explained to the assembly at voting time.  Neither happened.  Sure enough, this person was elected.

I am at a loss.  I am requesting help with references so I can at least attempt to close this barn door.

Page 3 line 1 and following defines a member as a person...

As I go looking for further points to bolster my argument, can anyone give me other references?  I know some are familiar with and sometimes reference Parliamentary Law (?) which might also help.  Many thanks.

The committee preparing the ballot for our church's search committee approved a request from one of the nominees that, if she were elected, her spouse would also be elected. Her spouse was not on the ballot. It was proposed that the 2 would then be on the committee as 1 "person" with one vote.

There was some discussion that this arrangement would be noted on the ballot or at least explained to the assembly at voting time. Neither happened. Sure enough, this person was elected.

I am at a loss. I am requesting help with references so I can at least attempt to close this barn door.

As I go looking for further points to bolster my argument, can anyone give me other references? I know some are familiar with and sometimes reference Parliamentary Law (?) which might also help. Many thanks.

The committee had no authority to approve this request, and neither did the assembly. One member = one person = one vote. This principle has been further clarified in the 11th edition. See RONR, 11th ed., pg. 407.

Additionally, despite what the committee proposed, I am reasonably certain that the member and her spouse are not one person. :)

The committee preparing the ballot for our church's search committee approved a request from one of the nominees that, if she were elected, her spouse would also be elected.  Her spouse was not on the ballot.  It was proposed that the 2 would then be on the committee as 1 "person" with one vote.

There was some discussion that this arrangement would be noted on the ballot or at least explained to the assembly at voting time.  Neither happened.  Sure enough, this person was elected.

I am at a loss.  I am requesting help with references so I can at least attempt to close this barn door.

As I go looking for further points to bolster my argument, can anyone give me other references?  I know some are familiar with and sometimes reference Parliamentary Law (?) which might also help.  Many thanks.

Nope; the whole idea is bogus.

Archived