The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motions

Guest craig

a motion was made in a board meeting and was approved by the board. If I don't agree with the motion can I make a new motion in the next board meeting to change the motion that was passed at the last meeting ? I don't want to change the first motion but make a new one.

a motion was made in a board meeting and was approved by the board. If I don't agree with the motion can I make a new motion in the next board meeting to change the motion that was passed at the last meeting ? I don't want to change the first motion but make a new one.

It all depends on the wording but you might not be able to make a new motion.

" Likewise, motions are out of order if they conflict with a motion that has been adopted by the society and has been neither rescinded, nor reconsidered and rejected after adoption. Such conflicting motions, if adopted, are null and void unless adopted by the vote required to rescind or amend the motion previously adopted."  RONR (11th ed.), p. 343.

It's more likely that you'll need to move to rescind or amend what was adopted.  Again, the devil is in the details.

Archived