The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominating Committee

Guest Linda J

One of the members of the nominating committee will be chosen by the Chair of the Parent's Association. Can the Chair appoint him/her self? Likewise the executive board of the Brotherhood will also choose a member to be on the nominating committee. Can they choose from the executive board?

RONR recommends that the president/chair of the organization not have anything to do with the nominating committee, including serving on it or appointing its members.

But if your bylaws do not incorporate that recommendation then there's nothing to prevent it from happening.

I agree.  I misread the initial post and was under the impression that the chairman of a committee, rather than the chairman of the organization, would be making the appointment.  RONR does recommend that the president/chairman not have anything to do with the nominating committee, but it is not an absolute prohibition.

I agree.  I misread the initial post and was under the impression that the chairman of a committee, rather than the chairman of the organization, would be making the appointment.  RONR does recommend that the president/chairman not have anything to do with the nominating committee, but it is not an absolute prohibition.

The President names the chair of the nominating committee, but the other members of the nominating committee are named by the various branches(executive board) of our organization with two members at lodge picked by lottery. So since I understand that the President of our Organization shouldn't be on the committee, if that President is stepping down to make way for next president she/he could be on committee. But I still question whether chairs of other branches can appoint themselves to that committee.

The President names the chair of the nominating committee, but the other members of the nominating committee are named by the various branches(executive board) of our organization with two members at lodge picked by lottery. So since I understand that the President of our Organization shouldn't be on the committee, if that President is stepping down to make way for next president she/he could be on committee. But I still question whether chairs of other branches can appoint themselves to that committee.

Nothing in RONR would prohibit it.

Well, that isn't what anyone here said, so I'm not sure why you understand it to be the case.

So since I understand that the President of our Organization shouldn't be on the committee, if that President is stepping down to make way for next president she/he could be on committee.

Well, keep in mind that there is no absolute rule in RONR that prohibits the president from being on the nominating committee or from appointing people to it.  Your own bylaws  provide that the president does appoint one person to the committee.  The "rule" in RONR is more in the nature of a "should" rule.... it recommends that the president not be on the committee and that the president not even make any appointments to it except in the case of newly formed organizations electing their  first set of officers.  Whether the president is stepping down is not a factor as far as RONR is concerned, but your organization can give that whatever weight it wants to.

Here is the exact language from page 434 of RONR:

"Designation of the Nominating Committee. The nominating committee should be elected by the organization wherever possible, or else by its executive board. Although in organizing a new society it may be feasible for the chair to appoint the nominating committee, in an organized society the president should not appoint this committee or be a member of it—ex officio or otherwise. The bylaws may provide that "the President shall appoint all committees except the Nominating Committee . . ." and that "the President shall be ex officio a member of all committees except the Nominating Committee . . ."; the exception should not be omitted in either case."

But I still question whether chairs of other branches can appoint themselves to that committee.

As Mr. Martin and Mr. Novosielski both pointed out, nothing in RONR says the chairmen of committees (or branches) cannot appoint themselves.  The ability to serve on committees is a right of membership unless restricted by the bylaws. 

While we are on the subject of nominating committees, it is also perfectly permissible for  the members of the nominating committee to nominate themselves for office.  This what RONR says about in the last paragraph of page 434:

"Members of the nominating committee are not barred from becoming nominees for office themselves. To make such a requirement would mean, first, that service on the nominating committee carried a penalty by depriving its members of one of their privileges; and second, that appointment or election to the nominating committee could be used to prevent a member from becoming a nominee."

Well, keep in mind that there is no absolute rule in RONR that prohibits the president from being on the nominating committee or from appointing people to it.  Your own bylaws  provide that the president does appoint one person to the committee.  The "rule" in RONR is more in the nature of a "should" rule.... it recommends that the president not be on the committee and that the president not even make any appointments to it except in the case of newly formed organizations electing their  first set of officers.  Whether the president is stepping down is not a factor as far as RONR is concerned, but your organization can give that whatever weight it wants to.

Here is the exact language from page 434 of RONR:

"Designation of the Nominating Committee. The nominating committee should be elected by the organization wherever possible, or else by its executive board. Although in organizing a new society it may be feasible for the chair to appoint the nominating committee, in an organized society the president should not appoint this committee or be a member of it—ex officio or otherwise. The bylaws may provide that "the President shall appoint all committees except the Nominating Committee . . ." and that "the President shall be ex officio a member of all committees except the Nominating Committee . . ."; the exception should not be omitted in either case."

As Mr. Martin and Mr. Novosielski both pointed out, nothing in RONR says the chairmen of committees (or branches) cannot appoint themselves.  The ability to serve on committees is a right of membership unless restricted by the bylaws. 

While we are on the subject of nominating committees, it is also perfectly permissible for  the members of the nominating committee to nominate themselves for office.  This what RONR says about in the last paragraph of page 434:

"Members of the nominating committee are not barred from becoming nominees for office themselves. To make such a requirement would mean, first, that service on the nominating committee carried a penalty by depriving its members of one of their privileges; and second, that appointment or election to the nominating committee could be used to prevent a member from becoming a nominee."

Thank you so much for this reply. This clarifies everything for me and will help me when I need to amend this part of our Bylaws.

Archived