The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Changing of ByLaws

ajmungons

We have a new member and is able to run for office, due to being a member over a year. This new member is currently filling in as the Treasurer. Our Association Elections are coming up next month and this member would like to run for President. She would also like to change the bylaws that will combine the Treasurer Position and the President Position. To make this ONE position. Can this be done? Other of members are saying no but will not stand up to her. In my years of board development this is not a safe practice. That there should be two positions. That the money would be accounted for by those on the bank account, President, Vice President, and Treasurer. They wont listen to me as I am just their advisor. I would like others input and feed back so that I may get them to understand this is not good practice for the Association. The two positions have been approved by HUD housing in the standings of us getting our non profit status. Can anyone help me explain this to the Association?

She would also like to change the bylaws that will combine the Treasurer Position and the President Position. To make this ONE position. Can this be done? 

Can it be done? Sure, the bylaws can say whatever the membership wants them to say.

Should it be done? In my opinion, no. Better (but not much better) to simply elect the same person as both president and treasurer.

As far as any other rules or laws (e.g.HUD) are concerned, that's beyond the scope of this forum.

Currently the By Laws state that one person can only run for one position. 

Perhaps. But, as you're painfully aware, bylaws can be changed (for better and for worse). So, instead of amending the bylaws to merge the offices of president and treasurer, the bylaws could be amended to let a person hold more than one office. Then let the voters decide. For example, in small organizations it's not uncommon for the same person to serve as both secretary and treasurer. 

By the way, a rule prohibiting a person from "running" for more than one position doesn't necessarily prohibit a person from holding more than one position. So double-check those bylaws.

Archived