The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Committee Chairman Amend a Motion

SptbgLawyer

In a Committee of 3 Members, can the Chair of the Committee amend a motion in his Committee?  I am envisioning a situation where the Committee Chairman may be anticipating a motion to be made by a Committee Member but it doesn't include all the parts he envisioned.  Can he then attempt to amend the motion he called for? 

In our Committee settings, typically the Committee Chair will ask if there is a motion to _____________________ (fill in the blank).  Typically a Committee Member then makes the motion and the other member will second.  What I envision is he will be looking for a motion to include certain things, but the motion will only include some of the things he envisions when he asks if there is a motion.  Sorry if I am confusing but as long as the Chairman can amend the motion and then call for the second on the amendment and for the vote on the amendment without having to relinquish his position as Chairman, I am good. 

We did have one situation in the past where no Committee member would make the motion so the Chairman relinquished his position momentarily in order to make the motion - but I don't think that was necessary given the Chairman has the same rights as any member. 

Archived