The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resignations of Executives

Guest tigger

When 3 members of the executive of a board of directors resign and they are also signing officers.  What is the procedure for the board of directors.  There have been no written resignations only verbal

Verbal resignations can only be offered during a meeting, otherwise a written resignation is required. If and when a proper resignation is submitted, the body which has the authority to fill the vacancies would accept the resignations. This is generally done by unanimous consent, but a majority vote is sufficient if there is disagreement. Previous notice must be given before filling the resulting vacancies.

Verbal resignations can only be offered during a meeting, otherwise a written resignation is required. If and when a proper resignation is submitted, the body which has the authority to fill the vacancies would accept the resignations. This is generally done by unanimous consent, but a majority vote is sufficient if there is disagreement. Previous notice must be given before filling the resulting vacancies.

This is getting a bit nit-picky, and I know page 291 of RONR says "a resignation is submitted writing", but I question whether a resignation, to be effective must be submitted in writing unless it is done orally in a meeting.    I think we are all aware of many instances of officers resigning verbally, outside of a meeting, and never putting it in writing, and the society goes on to treat it as effective and fills the vacancy.   I wonder if the statement that it is done in writing is more in the nature of a "should"  rule rather than a "must" rule.

Perhaps that issue deserves a thread of its own, maybe in the advanced discussion forum.

Perhaps that issue deserves a thread of its own, maybe in the advanced discussion forum.

Oh, I don't think so.

This doesn't amount to much more than the application of a little common sense. It behooves an organization accepting a resignation to be certain as to its terms and conditions, if any, the the identity of the person submitting it.

This is getting a bit nit-picky, and I know page 291 of RONR says "a resignation is submitted writing", but I question whether a resignation, to be effective must be submitted in writing unless it is done orally in a meeting.    I think we are all aware of many instances of officers resigning verbally, outside of a meeting, and never putting it in writing, and the society goes on to treat it as effective and fills the vacancy.   I wonder if the statement that it is done in writing is more in the nature of a "should"  rule rather than a "must" rule.

Oh, I don't think so.

This doesn't amount to much more than the application of a little common sense. It behooves an organization accepting a resignation to be certain as to its terms and conditions, if any, the the identity of the person submitting it.

Thanks, Dan.  That's pretty much what I thought.  Having it in writing avoids a "he said", "she said" and "you resigned", "no I did not"  situation.

Archived