The Official RONR Q & A Forums

election majority

Guest jason perdue

I have  question regarding elections and majority.  if there is only one candidate running for office, and this candidate does not receive a majority vote at election, are they still elected by default, or is it necessary for them to obtain a majority? do board member elections require two-thirds vote, or is it highest votes win?

If there is only one candidate running, AND if your bylaws do not require a ballot vote, then that single candidate wins by acclamation. P. 443.

If a ballot is required, the only way to vote "against" a person is to for for someone else, such as a write in. A "For" / "Against" ballot is improper. p. 430.  You don't like the (sole) nominee?  Nominate someone you do like and vote for him/her.

If the one candidate didn't get a majority, who did, in your case?

At any rate, you should run the election over again.

On the 2/3 vote question:  No, "highest vote wins" - a plurality vote - is not proper unless your bylaws authorize it.  A majority is sufficient, and necessary, to win, again unless your bylaws say otherwise.

I have  question regarding elections and majority.  if there is only one candidate running for office, and this candidate does not receive a majority vote at election, are they still elected by default, or is it necessary for them to obtain a majority? do board member elections require two-thirds vote, or is it highest votes win?

How can one candidate NOT receive a majority vote of those present and voting (the normal use of 'majority' vote in an election)? Even if the candidate just received one vote (his/her own) and there were no other votes - it would be a majority (1 of 1)>

What is the voting method used? This could happen in some organizations in which I participate.

Well, we're primarily concerned here with the rules in RONR. Under those rules, it would be highly unusual for a single candidate to fail to receive a majority vote on a ballot vote. Members cannot simply vote "no," so this could only happen due to write-in votes and/or illegal votes. (As Dr. Stackpole noted, if a ballot vote isn't required, then no vote is taken at all.)

Archived