The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Job Description in Bylaws?

Guest Loren

In the non-profit org I serve, the "Chairman of the Board of Directors" is always the presiding officer and his responsibilities are listed in our bylaws. We also have a staff position titled "President." Our "President" is never the presiding officer and his responsibilities are not listed in our bylaws. Should they be?

In the non-profit org I serve, the "Chairman of the Board of Directors" is always the presiding officer and his responsibilities are listed in our bylaws. We also have a staff position titled "President." Our "President" is never the presiding officer and his responsibilities are not listed in our bylaws. Should they be?

Nothing in RONR would require the responsibilities of a staff position to be described in the bylaws and, in fact, I don't think it's very common to do so. Responsibilities for staff positions are often defined elsewhere.

See the model bylaws in RONR, pp. 583-588.  Article IV, Officers, section 1 of the model bylaws says:  "These officers shall perform the duties prescribed by these bylaws and by the parliamentary authority adopted by the Society."

What does this have to do with the OP's question, which is regarding the duties of an employee, not an officer?

If it's really a "staff" position, then the duties could be detailed in the Standing Rules.  But then why on Earth would such an individual be called "president"???

Why wouldn't it? "President" is a term which is quite commonly used for the highest-ranking employee in a for-profit corporation, since the chairman of the Board of Directors is simply called the chairman, so there is no confusion. While it is more common to use the term "Executive Director" for the highest-ranking employee in the context of a non-profit, it's hardly unheard of to use "President" instead.

Archived