The Official RONR Q & A Forums

executive sessions

Guest linda greelee

Please be patient with me....this is my first time on this website!  

Our Association bylaws state that we follow Roberts Rules of Order. A member of  the Board of Directors requested that an action made by the members of a  confidential Committee Meeting be put on Executive Session after the action of the Committee was completed. Of the 11 Board members. 4 were on that special committee and 2 of the other Confidential Committee members will be attending that Board of Directors Meeting. If we go into Executive session, can the President ask to 2 other members to attend since they were part of the original committee?

Please be patient with me....this is my first time on this website!  

Our Association bylaws state that we follow Roberts Rules of Order. A member of  the Board of Directors requested that an action made by the members of a  confidential Committee Meeting be put on Executive Session after the action of the Committee was completed. Of the 11 Board members. 4 were on that special committee and 2 of the other Confidential Committee members will be attending that Board of Directors Meeting. If we go into Executive session, can the President ask to 2 other members to attend since they were part of the original committee?

"Whenever a meeting is being held in executive session, only members of the body that is meeting, special invitees, and such employees or staff members as the body or its rules may determine to be necessary are allowed to remain in the hall."  RONR (11th ed.), p. 95

The board, not the President alone, has the authority to authorize their attendance.

Oh, and everyone here is quite patient.  The former wrathful one is now a smiling fisherman.  :)

Archived