The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Guests at meetings

Tom Coronite

I know a body that is meeting can decide to allow guests. But can a superior body mandate the subordinate body to allow them?

Specifically, can a church adopt a rule that all its boards and committees will allow guests at all board and committee meetings? And if the church were to adopt a rule (whether in bylaws or as a rule of order) with the provision that going into executive session is still an option, would the church in any way be overstepping its authority and improperly tying the hands of its boards and committees?

Seems to me that since the "Church" and its membership are the superior body, it can tell (or set the rules for) Boards and Committees what to do or not do however it wishes.  The boards and committees sure can't set the rules for themselves.  RONR, p. 486, 500. 

And if the committee refuses to follow the rules, disband the committee.  That'll show 'em!

3 hours ago, 1stChurch said:

I know a body that is meeting can decide to allow guests.

Q1.) But can a superior body mandate the subordinate body to allow them?

Q2.) Specifically, can a church adopt a rule that all its boards and committees will allow guests at all board and committee meetings?

Q3.) And if the church were to adopt a rule (whether in bylaws or as a rule of order) with the provision that going into executive session is still an option, would the church in any way be overstepping its authority and improperly tying the hands of its boards and committees?

A1.) Yes.

A2.) If the general membership is superior to its board, then yes. If the church is incorporated, then it is more likely that the board is superior to the general membership, and it would be the board which the body empowered to set the highest-level rules. So, "yes", the "church" can set such a rule, if the proper superior body does it.

A3.) No. -- I assume that the proper superior body does the rule-creation. That body might be the board, not the general membership. For some reason, the 50 states of the United States tend to have corporations codes which like to make its nonprofit organizations "board-heavy" in the hierarchy. Thus my caution to read your bylaws to find out who gets to set the rules.

4 hours ago, 1stChurch said:

I know a body that is meeting can decide to allow guests. But can a superior body mandate the subordinate body to allow them?

Specifically, can a church adopt a rule that all its boards and committees will allow guests at all board and committee meetings? And if the church were to adopt a rule (whether in bylaws or as a rule of order) with the provision that going into executive session is still an option, would the church in any way be overstepping its authority and improperly tying the hands of its boards and committees?

If we assume that the membership is the superior body, nothing in RONR would prevent it from adopting a rule of this sort, which it can do by majority vote. It will be a standing rule as far as the membership is concerned, and a rule which cannot be suspended as far as any affected board or committee is concerned.

But be careful how you draft such a rule. Referring to "guests" may raise questions, and a provision that going into executive session remains an option could render the rule meaningless as a practical matter.

Archived