The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting Privileges

Tom Coronite

The note on the bottom of page 463 states some societies may opt to include in their bylaws that honorary members "retain full voting privileges."

What is meant by "full voting privileges"?

Is it the privilege to vote any or all times a vote is taken?

Is it the privilege to participate in all activities associated with voting, such as making motions, debating, seconds?

Or is it left to the society to determine and articulate in the bylaws?

Or another option/variation I haven't considered?

53 minutes ago, 1stChurch said:

The note on the bottom of page 463 states some societies may opt to include in their bylaws that honorary members "retain full voting privileges."

Is it the privilege to participate in all activities associated with voting, such as making motions, debating, seconds?

I think the answer to this question depends upon the exact wording of the relevant bylaw provision. For an example, consider Article III, Section 5, of the sample bylaws (on pp. 584-85, RONR, 11th ed.).

5 hours ago, 1stChurch said:

It will depend on how you articulate it in your bylaws.  The sample bylaws in RONR provide a good example, they start with "all privileges [of membership] except...," and then list those privileges that are not to be conferred.  Just make sure the language is clear an and unambiguous.

Archived