The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting procedure for elections

JaneH

We will be holding elections for officers in June. In the past, we have had questionable procedures for voting. I have a couple of questions...

Background- voting occurs in several different buildings, some members are given 45 minutes to vote while others might only receive 25 depending on work schedule. Also, counting of the votes are all done in separate buildings and at different times. All voting is secret ballot.

Question 1- shouldn't all members be given equal time to vote?

Question 2- the buildings are located less than a mile apart, should the counting of votes be together?

Question 3- should I move to amend the by-laws to include a more detailed procedure?

Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. I could not find any reference in RONR regarding appropriate time for ballot voting.

5 minutes ago, JaneH said:

We will be holding elections for officers in June. In the past, we have had questionable procedures for voting. I have a couple of questions...

Background- voting occurs in several different buildings, some members are given 45 minutes to vote while others might only receive 25 depending on work schedule. Also, counting of the votes are all done in separate buildings and at different times. All voting is secret ballot.

Question 1- shouldn't all members be given equal time to vote?

Question 2- the buildings are located less than a mile apart, should the counting of votes be together?

Question 3- should I move to amend the by-laws to include a more detailed procedure?

Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. I could not find any reference in RONR regarding appropriate time for ballot voting.

This voting procedure which you describe is obviously a procedure which your organization has established for itself, and therefore takes precedence over any of the rules in RONR.

If you want to change these rules in any respect, you will need to move to amend them.

Since you a not voting in a meeting, which is the RONR standard (indeed voting outside of meetings  --  absentee voting  --  is improper, see p. 423) whatever rules your association has adopted to cover the setup should answer your questions.  If not, then bylaw amendments, or Special Rules of Order,would be appropriate.

Archived