The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Approving nonexistent minutes

Tom Coronite

We (now) follow the provision of RONR p 474 line 31ff and have a committee approve the minutes of the annual congregational meeting. The committee does so at the committee's next meeting. A problem is getting the secretary to get the draft minutes to this committee. I do know a solution is to get a new secretary, but absent that...

Does the authorization to 'approve' the minutes of the annual congregational meeting include drafting them first if the secretary hasn't submitted a draft?

8 minutes ago, 1stChurch said:

Does the authorization to 'approve' the minutes of the annual congregational meeting include drafting them first if the secretary hasn't submitted a draft?

Yes, I believe so, but I think a better option is to ask some member to prepare draft minutes to submit to the committee.  That person would not necessarily be a member of the committee.   Any member can submit draft minutes.   It doesn't have to be the secretary

9 hours ago, 1stChurch said:

We (now) follow the provision of RONR p 474 line 31ff and have a committee approve the minutes of the annual congregational meeting. The committee does so at the committee's next meeting. A problem is getting the secretary to get the draft minutes to this committee. I do know a solution is to get a new secretary, but absent that...

I agree that the answer to your question is yes, so long as there is nothing in the motion which was adopted authorizing the committee to approve the minutes which would indicate otherwise. The assumption is that the assembly has vested in its committee full authority to act for it in this regard.

Archived