The Official RONR Q & A Forums

The Most Advanced, Obscure, or Complex Motion

Guest parlienthusiast

Dear Parli-enthusiast.

The most complex motion, I think, which most parliamentarians agree is hairier than most, is the motion To Reconsider.

Why?

Because that motion chews up the most pages in RONR for a single motion.

While the motion To Amend might chew up pages more pages collectively, there are many sub-parts to the motion To Amend, so each part isn't really that hairy.

e.g., the forms of the motion: (a.) add; (b.) strike-out; (c.) strike-out and insert; (d.) substitute.

Plus, you must deal with the target of amendment, namely (a.) words, vs. (b.) paragraph.

But I wouldn't argue much if a parliamentarian argued that To Amend juggles a lot balls in the air.

I have one that may not be the the most complex motion, but it is relatively obscure and is one of my favorites.  It's the Motion to Reconsider and Enter on the Minutes. I've seen it used only once, and that was at the NAP convention in Washington DC last August.  And it was moved with a twist that I had not even considered:  It was moved as a motion "to suspend the rules and reconsider and enter on the minutes".  The mover had to include a motion to suspend the rules with it because he had not voted on the prevailing side in the initial vote.  It was on a proposed bylaw change that had been proposed without the required previous notice so required a 90 percent vote for adoption.  The proposal received something like an 89 percent vote when initially considered (I'm guessing at the vote, but it was close to 90 percent).

The motion worked.  it gave the mover and his allies (and most of the other members) an additional day to lobby other members to vote YES on the bylaw amendment when reconsidered.  Since the amendment received almost 90 percent yes votes on the initial vote, the motion to suspend the rules would easily achieve the required two thirds vote.  Upon reconsideration, the bylaw  proposal did receive the required 90 percent vote and was adopted.

Guest parlienthusiast

I was thinking either reconsider and enter in the minutes, rescind and expunge, call of the house, or censure, but I'm wondering if there are any others.

10 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

I have one that may not be the the most complex motion, but it is relatively obscure and is one of my favorites.  It's the Motion to Reconsider and Enter on the Minutes. I've seen it used only once, and that was at the NAP convention in Washington DC last August.  And it was moved with a twist that I had not even considered:  It was moved as a motion "to suspend the rules and reconsider and enter on the minutes".

That's a neat story.

Archived