The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motions made in executive session

Guest Linda J

Sometimes when a board comes out of executive session the motion is restated, but the discussion stays private in executive session minutes. If the board decided to keep a motion private, how would the membership know about certain decisions a board makes i.e. whether or not contract for employee was renewed?

18 minutes ago, Guest Linda J said:

Sometimes when a board comes out of executive session the motion is restated, but the discussion stays private in executive session minutes. If the board decided to keep a motion private, how would the membership know about certain decisions a board makes i.e. whether or not contract for employee was renewed?

There are obviously some things that can't be kept secret.

16 minutes ago, jstackpo said:

The membership could find out what the motion was by invoking the little procedure described on page 487, lines 13-20.

It might be wise, however, for the general membership to adopt a motion to go into ExecSess at that meeting prior to finding out what the Board was up to.   At least this will keep it in the family, if not exclusively to the parents.

2 hours ago, Guest Linda J said:

1 hour ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

There are obviously some things that can't be kept secret.

3 minutes ago, Guest Linda J said:

But making that type of motion in executive session might allow the board time to take care of any other details that need to be worked out...perhaps?

I don't know. Perhaps. But if a motion to renew an employee's contract is adopted or rejected in executive session there will come a time when the employee will have to be told about it, and there will come a time when other people will inevitably find out about it.

This has nothing to do with parliamentary law. It's just one of the facts of life.

4 hours ago, Guest Linda J said:

..., but the discussion stays private in executive session minutes. If the board decided to keep a motion private, how would the membership know about certain decisions a board makes i.e. whether or not contract for employee was renewed?

As far as *the discussion* is concerned, remember, at least, that as far as the official record -- the minutes  -- is concerned, discussion is not included at all.

But as far as executive session is concerned, the doors are closed.  What happened behind them is not revealed J(unless, of course, fundamentally, the body that was in executive session decides to lift the secrecy, as regards any or all that what went on behind those closed doors).

For example, it is generally assumed (except maybe in Arizona) that the Sun rises in the East.  When  a board meets in executive session, and it is mentioned during that executive session, that the Sun rises in the East, all attendees at that executive session are prohibited from revealing that, yes,  it was mentioned in executive session that the Sun rises in the East

Got that? The board members, like everybody else on Earth, including trilobites and dandelions who take note of the sunrise, have no inhibition on discussing the sunrise -- but they mustn't mention that it was discussed during executive session!\

(Some might suggest I'm being unduly and over-literal on this.  They probably vote for Democrats too, the liberal pinko slugs.)

• 4 years later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.