The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Improper Elections

wfd086

One of the organizations I belong to recently had our annul elections.  After the election and the newly elected officers were installed it was found that some members were allowed to vote that were not eligible to vote.  In the same election we had 2 members elected into positions when they were not eligible to run.  We are currently using Robert's Rules 10th Edition in addition to our by-laws.

I believe although I have not been successful in finding it in Robert's Rules that the officers that the election is proper once the officers have been installed, and that the 2 positions that are currently held by the ineligible members will have to have another election.  Does anyone know where I can find direction on this in Robert's Rules 10th edition?

As to votes cast by persons not entitled to vote, look at page 402, lines 30-34.

As to election of ineligible candidates, look at page 244, lines 4-26, and focus on lines 10-11. The 11th edition, on page 445, lines 19-22, makes this clearer, so why in the world is your organization still using the 10th as its parliamentary authority?  :)

Edited by Daniel H. Honemann

6 minutes ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

As to votes cast by persons not entitled to vote, look at page 402, lines 25-34.

As to election of ineligible candidates, look at page 244, lines 4-26, and focus on lines 10-11. The 11th edition, on page 444, lines 19-22, makes this clearer, so why in the world is your organization still using the 10th as its parliamentary authority?  :)

Thanks,  we will be switching in all of the organizations now that I know there is a newer edition.

2 minutes ago, wfd086 said:

Thanks,  we will be switching in all of the organizations now that I know there is a newer edition.

You might want to switch to my edited response for the citations I provided as well as to the 11th edition. :)

By the way, if you use the language on page 569, lines 31-35, in that old edition of yours you won't have to worry with making future changes.

On 1/23/2017 at 8:23 AM, Daniel H. Honemann said:

You might want to switch to my edited response for the citations I provided as well as to the 11th edition. :)

I ordered and received my copy of the 11th edition.  I have also got an amendment ready to go for our next meeting to get us up to the current version.

Where the ineligible candidates are concerned if I am reading correctly someone will need to make a point of order on the violation.

Our order of business is as follows:

Roll Call.
Reading of the minutes of the last regular or special meeting.
Reports of officers.
Reports of committees.
Nominations of officers or candidates for membership.
Bills and communications.
New business.
Elections of officers and or members.
Remarks for the good of the company.
Collection of the kitty.
2nd Roll call.

Assuming that what you would like to know is at what point in your order of business it will be in order to raise a point of order concerning the eligibility of an officer to hold the office to which he was declared to have been elected at the previous meeting, I think the answer may depend upon which officer it is. If it is the President, I think it would be in order to raise the point of order immediately after he calls the meeting to order. If it is the Secretary, I think it would be in order to do so at the time when he presents his draft of the minutes for approval.

In any case, I think it will be in order to raise such a point of order immediately following the approval of the minutes of the meeting at which the officer or officers were declared to have been elected.

14 hours ago, wfd086 said:

I ordered and received my copy of the 11th edition.  I have also got an amendment ready to go for our next meeting to get us up to the current version.

Where the ineligible candidates are concerned if I am reading correctly someone will need to make a point of order on the violation.

Our order of business is as follows:

Roll Call.
Reading of the minutes of the last regular or special meeting.
Reports of officers.
Reports of committees.
Nominations of officers or candidates for membership.
Bills and communications.
New business.
Elections of officers and or members.
Remarks for the good of the company.
Collection of the kitty.
2nd Roll call.

I think you would do best to make a greater effort to use the time-tested language in RONR and not attempt to "improve" what over a century of triial and error have proven to be optimal.

As a small example, the second item of business should be called "Reading and approval of minutes".

As written, the minutes are read but apparently not approved, and should there be more than one set of minutes to be approved, you will apparently only be able to approve the most recent one.  Suppose, for example, there are one regular and two special minutes to be approved  (OOps. I mean read but not approved.)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.