The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Powers of executive board

mjhmjh

The bylaws of the Society use the same text as the RONR sample bylaws on page 586 regarding EB authority: "The Executive Board shall have general supervision of the affairs of the Society between its business meetings, fix the hour and place of meetings, make recommendations to the Society, and perform such other duties as are specified in these bylaws."

This is expounded upon on page 578 lines 1-4 to mean "The Executive Board shall have the responsibility to supervise, and to determine the details of, implementation of the decisions of the Society and, in a manner not inconsistent with such decisions, to attend to any business of the Society that cannot wait until the next meeting."

If the Society gave a committee power to carry out a motion, would the EB have any authority regarding the "details of" or "implementation of" that motion? Or would only passed motions not referred to a committee with power fall under the purview of the EB?

I'm afraid I don't really understand the question.

Edited to add: if you are asking what I think you are asking, and if the matter was referred to a committee by the general membership rather than by the board, I believe that such committee referral puts the matter beyond the reach of the executive board.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

5 hours ago, Richard Brown said:

I'm afraid I don't really understand the question.

Edited to add: if you are asking what I think you are asking, and if the matter was referred to a committee by the general membership rather than by the board, I believe that such committee referral puts the matter beyond the reach of the executive board.

Yes that's what I was asking

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.