The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Disbandment or Dissolution of Organization

Lannister

The civic club I belong to is 65 years old. Our current president(1 year left to serve) has "temporarily" relocated 13 hours away. She has not given a solid date to her return  or if she even is returning. The Vice President serving in her absence is horrible.  We have tried to re elect a new president but have been shot down due to our bylaws(a joke) and RROO sort of fills in the blanks. It was well over a 2/3 vote. At this point we have 12 active members and 7 of us want to disband and sort of start over since we can't get anywhere.  I am new to RROO, but I cannot find anything on this. Could anyone advise what to do? Thank you!

The parliamentary step is simply to move to rescind the bylaws, entirely.  See p. 563.

This motion is, in effect, a (rather drastic, to be sure) amendment to the bylaws and so its introduction and adoption will have to follow whatever rules for bylaw amendment are found in your current bylaws. Give some thought to the disposition of the bank account, if you have one, and any incorporation or tax issues, as well.

Once rescinded, you and your 12 or so friends are free to start over again  --  see RONR p. 553 for all the right steps to follow.

'Course, you could just walk away from your current association and start a new one, but that might leave you with competing organizations, not as tidy as first dissolving (by rescission) the existing one.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.