The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Power to Remove

Tom Coronite

If the church elects officers at its annual meeting, it stands to reason they also have the power to remove from office.

The church's executive board, called the Church Council, is empowered to act for the church (between meetings of the church) in all secular matters not otherwise provided for in the bylaws.

Does the Church Council's authority to act for the church include the power to remove from office? Or is it a matter of bylaws interpretation?

30 minutes ago, Tom Coronite said:

If the church elects officers at its annual meeting, it stands to reason they also have the power to remove from office.

The church's executive board, called the Church Council, is empowered to act for the church (between meetings of the church) in all secular matters not otherwise provided for in the bylaws.

Does the Church Council's authority to act for the church include the power to remove from office? Or is it a matter of bylaws interpretation?

I think the answer to this question is no, based upon what is said in RONR (11th ed.) on page 483, lines 6-9, and on page 577, lines 23-33.

Although the Council may be empowered to accept resignations and to fill vacancies between meetings of the church membership's assembly (p. 467, ll. 28-35), I don't believe this power extends to removal from office. Adoption of a motion to remove an officer from office (pp. 653-654) effectively rescinds an action taken by the membership's assembly, and for this reason requires the same vote for its adoption as does a motion to Rescind.

22 minutes ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

I think the answer to this question is no, based upon what is said in RONR (11th ed.) on page 483, lines 6-9, and on page 577, lines 23-33.

Although the Council may be empowered to accept resignations and to fill vacancies between meetings of the church membership's assembly (p. 467, ll. 28-35), I don't believe this power extends to removal from office. Adoption of a motion to remove an officer from office (pp. 653-654) effectively rescinds an action taken by the membership's assembly, and for this reason requires the same vote for its adoption as does a motion to Rescind.

OK. That certainly makes sense. Thank you.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.