The Official RONR Q & A Forums

minutes approval across different meeting types

SCHHCC Tech

Environment;
Retirement community, not for profit tax status. Community Chartered club with an elected board of 6 + 1: (immediate past President).
setup;
Membership Meeting of 200, ( 200 meets quorum requirement for the entire Membership ), Board presides, minutes taken. Mostly entertainment but Business transacted sometimes, ie Budget approval, election. ( occurs 4 months per year )
Staff meeting of 20, board presides, minutes taken, Business transacted ie Policy change, Budget adjustment, Vendors selected. (occurs 10 months per year )

Board & only the Board votes to; approve minutes of prior Membership & prior Staff meeting.

Is it proper to approve the minutes of a Membership meeting in a Staff Meeting?

If I have not provided adequate detail, please advise.

I would appreciate the moderator take corrective action with the subject & tags to better fit the vocabulary of the Forum.

If whichever body is actually meeting actually authorizes (i.e. adopts a motion saying so) some other body (or even some individual) to approve the minutes of the meeting, then that is OK.

Best to adopt an authorization motion early in the meeting so that the (future) authorizors know who they are and will pay attention to what is going on.

On 9/13/2017 at 2:12 AM, SCHHCC Tech said:

Environment;
Retirement community, not for profit tax status. Community Chartered club with an elected board of 6 + 1: (immediate past President).
setup;
Membership Meeting of 200, ( 200 meets quorum requirement for the entire Membership ), Board presides, minutes taken. Mostly entertainment but Business transacted sometimes, ie Budget approval, election. ( occurs 4 months per year )
Staff meeting of 20, board presides, minutes taken, Business transacted ie Policy change, Budget adjustment, Vendors selected. (occurs 10 months per year )

Board & only the Board votes to; approve minutes of prior Membership & prior Staff meeting.

Is it proper to approve the minutes of a Membership meeting in a Staff Meeting?

If I have not provided adequate detail, please advise.

I would appreciate the moderator take corrective action with the subject & tags to better fit the vocabulary of the Forum.

Do you actually have a rule in your bylaws that the "Board presides" at a general membership meeting?  That would be quite unusual.

Absent such a bylaws provision, the President presides.  The Board, per se, cannot really preside, since it is not in session except during its own meetings.  Membership meetings are not board meetings.  I don't understand how multiple people could preside in any case. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.